Monday, August 25, 2014

Super Hot Weather and Teaching Baptisms for the Dead

Me and Elder Steed had to get serious and throw down with a couple people this week that just weren't moving forward or not thinking straight.  It worked with one guy, but with another we had to drop him.  

But this week was super duper hot!  And because we had to save 250+ miles in case one of got transferred, we biked a lot this week.  But neither of us are leaving so now we have a lot of miles.  Anyways, biking was super fun. When I’m on my bike I never usually feel the heat.  The only thing I feel is the wind, which in Port Lavaca goes in all directions, so it is always against us.  But then when I get off my bike, I noticed that my shirt is sweated through, that my arms are shiny from sweat, and its super hot, haha. Its good though, we get to talk to a lot more people.  

Then this week we met a guy named Joel.  We started talking about Christ’s original church.  He said it was the Catholic. Well, I just threw in baptisms for the dead to see if he knew about it, and he said it was a false doctrine.  So for the next 30 minutes, I just read to him from the bible.  I whipped out John 3:5 and talked about how everyone needs to be baptized to go to heaven. Then in Acts 10:34-35 or something like that I showed him that even if you grew up in China and never knew who Christ was, that you can’t go to heaven without baptism.  I showed him that was unfair and God is not like that so we read in 1 Peter 3 and 1 Peter 4:6 about how Christ went to the spirit world to teach all those who never had the chance. Then I finished with 1 Corinthians 15:29 and told him how in that scripts, the people are doing baptisms for the dead even though they don't believe in a resurrection.  And we came to the conclusion that there IS a resurrection and baptisms for the dead doctrine IS in the bible, so it HAS to be part of Christ's church.  Well let’s just say he didn’t have much to say after that except that we could come back and teach him more.  Afterwards I felt like I was a little to harsh but we decided that we felt the spirit so it was good.

Also this week we found a new investigator named Hailey.  She is a friend of a member and she is super solid.  She let us hold her pet rat our first lesson.  He is so rad!  Black and white and his name is Socrates.  But rat tails are super weird though.  And yeah, she is down if we come by every day or so and she wants to learn more and read the pamphlets we give her.  Pretty much she is golden so far.

And finally we teach a guy named Mr. Floyd.  He worked for the city for 17 years so he knows everyone.  He is just a crazy old black guy but he called us one day and asked us if we wanted to go to the store with him and get some brisket and he would cook it for us.  So today we went to the store, bought a $40 brisket, like 16 lbs, and he is going to spend all week prepping and cooking it for us.  Then on Saturday we will go over and eat some of it while we drink "soda-water" with him. Haha, he is just nutty, but probably one of the coolest, nicest guys I’ve ever met! He lives life according to the bible, does everything possible for the community and not himself.  And he knows everyone so he goes around all day saying "Hello" and "How’s your husband?" and "Is Billy still at Texas A&M?" stuff like that.  He just wants everyone to feel loved.  I hope I can be like him one day.

Elder Lund


PS. When I get done with the #mishlife I want you to teach me all your wisdom and business skills.  I have decided that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment