Thursday, December 26, 2013

Guns & Christmas Conference

Skype with Parker on Christmas Day

Skype with Parker on Christmas Day

We started off the week by going to a less active’s named the Vasquezes. They are an old married couple that love having us over, but we don’t go over that much because they don’t progress at all and don’t want to.  But while we were there, Hermano got out his guitar and played us a few Spanish songs.  And then he got up and put on a CD and then sang to us for like ten minutes, haha!  We just sat there and listened to his old raspy voice.  I hope when I’m an old man I can pick a few songs on the guitar and then just stand there and sing in my broken voice.  It was sweet!

And this week somehow, a bunch of people showed us their guns.  And dad, you would like that everyone’s favorite is an AR-15.  This cop at a prison here showed us his camo one from the army.  It had a grip and a red dot sight and a flashlight.  We held them.  He invited us shooting but I had to sadly say we couldn’t.  Then my comp told me afterwards that I was in trouble because we can’t even hold guns... I’ll just have to wait till I get home.

And this recent convert, Howard, is a big maintenance man.  He looks like a goober too but he is actually so cool!  He told us a bunch of stories about how he used to drag race and showed us a bunch of pictures of his old cars in the late 80's.  I loved talking with the little knowledge I had from Top Gear but Elder Bilal said he was just lost the whole time with what we were saying, haha. 
  
And then we had the Christmas conference yesterday.  It was the best! President gave some talks and some missionaries gave some talks and then we watched Ephraim’s Rescue.  It was so sweet actually.  It was all about this guy who had a semi hard life but it trained him to be a great man who saved the Martin Handcart Company in winter and did crazy stuff.  But he had the sickest hair and hats!  I would recommend it as a church movie but also just for entertainment.  

After the movie, we had dinner from a bunch of members and a bunch of us just got full steaks. They had so much food!  We played some games and didn’t get home till 8:30 cuz we are 2 hours away from the mission office. But we still managed to teach one lesson so that’s good.

As of now, the only things I miss are music and my first name.  Calling people by Elder and then a last name is just too much, especially when some last names are so long.  It will be cool to have another cousin out on a mission.  I’m excited for Marcus.

Maria still doesn’t have a baptism date and we couldn’t see her all week... but Myra, the wife of the Roy, has a date for this Saturday and I’m pretty sure she will be baptized so pray for her.

Merry Christmas everyone!


Love Elder Parks

No comments:

Post a Comment