Monday, March 9, 2015

Preaching from the Rooftops and Twisting My Ankle

Our Galveston Zone
Hobbling around on a twisted ankle
Acting like truly disabled
Swapped crutches for a walker with this friend
Pueblo, the guy we taught on a roof!
Typical truck in Texas, look how it compares to the school bus behind it.

So this week, President Ashton focused a lot on the fact that we are not using the Book of Mormon enough and its true.  You can never involve the Book of Mormon too much.  And because the prepared people should accept the Book of Mormon almost right away, he wants us to teach with it more than the Bible.  And that is hard because in this area everyone knows and only accepts the bible, but usually when they say that they want everything to come from the bible all they really want to do is bash us!  So this should help us save some time.  I also realized that the most success I have ever had on my mission came when we were reading the Book of Mormon with everyone all the time.  So we are going to start doing that again.

Also, Elder Mota and me found ourselves with a full day and almost nothing to do. So being me and hating to be stuck in a car, we went and explored our area on foot for a couple of hours.  It was super fun!!  We talked to everyone everywhere!  People sitting on their porch, talking to others, playing sports, arguing with spouses, even running and biking.  And the one that tops them all was a guy on his roof.  We were walking by and we saw a man on a roof so we walked to his house and asked if he needed any help.  He said no.  Then Elder Mota asked if he could go on the roof and see how to fix one so he could learn.  He was fine with it haha so we climbed up the ladder to meet him on the roof.  He showed us a few things but then we tried to secretly teach him the restoration.  Well after a few minutes he caught on and said he had to get back to work so he kicked us off :(  But for a while we were ‘preaching the gospel from the roof tops’ …literally.  So thrift!

Also this week, we finally had a lesson with a guy we have been trying to track down for a month or so.  His name is David Martinez.  Turns out he repairs cruise ships so he is always traveling.  Now he is in the Bahamas for 2 weeks.  Anyways, we went in and he just opened right up to us, all about how his wife just got out of a 3 month coma and is recovering way better than the doctors said and also about how his daughter died when she was 4.  Good thing we had a super cool member with us!  He just started testifying about the plan of salvation and how God always works miracles and wants us to be happy.  David loved it!  He said that while he is gone we can go by and teach his wife and sons whenever we want!  His family should be super solid, especially if we keep bringing this member, Hno Vargas.


But the biggest news this week, well I don’t think its very big but you might, is that while I was balling super hard Saturday morning while playing basketball with some English members, I rolled my ankle super badly.  I died... I couldn’t put any weight on it all day.  But I just kept on with the day and we did all of our studies.  By about 10:30, I was done for.  It hurt super bad and it hadn’t swollen or changed colors at all so everyone thought it might have been a break.  So we went to Dr. Floyds and he did some X-rays and turns out it’s just a high ankle sprain and then something to do with my ligaments, but I was distracted when he said that so I can’t remember.  All he did was wrap it and then told me to stay off it for 5 days and it will be completely healed in a few weeks.  Bummer.  So that night, the mission doctor lady brought me some crutches and then on Sunday, an English member saw me, went home, and came back and brought me a boot!  So now I just hobble around on my boot and crutches!  Here are some pictures. In one of them, me and a member of my branch switched. he has my crutches and I have his walker, haha

No comments:

Post a Comment