Monday, November 11, 2013

Tons of Mosquitos Here in Texas City!



At the Mission Home with Pres. & Sis. Ashton and Family
So I got to Houston and the Pres. and his wife picked us up from the airport.  There were 8 new missionaries which is nothing compared to the 34 they had 2 weeks ago!  Haha, crazy!!  We went to his house and had dinner and a testimony meeting.  He has 7 kids, all under the age of 15.  His house was so fun and we just played games with all the little kids.  But Pres. Ashton is super cool.  It’s so funny because sometimes he doesn’t really see the importance of some of the little rules or of always acting professional, but he says he has to always try to be exactly obedient because that’s what all the missionaries do.  But then Sister Ashton is really the serious and responsible one in that family.  She’s more strict, but still pretty cool.

Then the next day we met our trainers.  Mine is elder B.  He is from New Jersey and has been here for exactly a year.  He’s a cool guy and he tries to help me stay on task during study.  It’s impossible cuz we study for 4 hours straight and have to do it in the same chair at the same desk the whole time.  But he has Nerf guns so we take a break every once in a while and have a fight or target practice. 

Right now I am in Texas City.  It’s right outside of Galveston.  It’s the farthest from the mission office so if you send anything my address is:

Elder Lund
Stone Ridge Apartments
1115 Highway 146 North #1214
Texas City, TX 77590

We live about an hour and a half from the office so no one really goes back for anything until transfers.  But my area is the biggest so we hit the streets hard in our silver Corolla!  And here you can listen to anything that invites the spirit which I guess is any cover of a church song, so we have CDs of like folk, alternative, jazz, country, and pretty much any other some what mellow type music.  But we rode bikes one day so far, which by the way is impossible with my messenger bag!  But my bike is so rad!  Definitely the best of all I’ve seen.  It’s matt dark blue with light blue and red accents.  It looks kinda like Tron, I think. 

And our apartment reminds me so much of Club Laguna.  It looks the same and smells the same too.  It’s not bad, but every time you walk in, it just has the apartment smell that Club Laguna had.  And yes, I got all your postcards. They turned out really good and I think they are really cool.

So pretty much I’ve discovered that here if you speak English, you speak to blacks, and if you speak Spanish you talk to Hispanics.  There are barely any white people here.  And pretty much everyone here just sits on their porch and drinks all night and day every day which is crazy because there are so many mosquitos here!  Me and B think that the devil controls them because when we teach, we get bit so much and the investigator never does.  I think it’s because the devil doesn’t want us teaching the truths.  We talked to this old guy for 45 min last night and between just my ankles, the top of my hands, and one forearm, I have 34 bites!  It’s deathly!

The only thing is, we meet some of the coolest people that speak English but we aren’t allowed to talk to them.  It stinks. 

At church yesterday, it was the primary program.  It was so funny. Pretty much none of the kids sang, only the teachers. And we go to a Spanish branch here by the way.  But we have some really cool members that have us over for dinner a couple times a week.  One of them can’t say my name and she thinks with my manners that I eat like a princess so she and her 10 yr old son call me “Luna Princessa”, haha.  But they are my favorite people.  They make me feel right at home.  And we have to eat outside on her massage table because we can’t go in her house. 

Ya, so I was reading my Patriarchal blessing last night and I noticed a bunch of new stuff.  But the biggest thing was that I would be a great speaker.  And I would motivate and affect all those around me with my words.  And that I should only speak by promptings of the Lord and the Holy Ghost.  So I’m waiting for that to happen because right now I have no idea what most people are saying and so its hard to speak to them in return.  Another part of my blessing is that I would dream dreams and see many visions, which ever since I came on my mission, I never have dreams.  I had one the other day about getting huge barrels at the beach with a dolphin but that’s the only one!  So maybe somebody up there got confused and forgot to fulfill my blessing in its entirety because it also said I would teach many people in many foreign lands and nations.  So I don’t know what’s going on, because Texas is not very foreign.  But anyways I’m here doing my part and we shall see what happens.

I read this talk The Atonement and Journey of Mortality by Bednar.  Amazing!!  I invite you all to read it.  It talks about how we should not pray to have our circumstances changed but to have strength to over come them.  I loved it!

Ya, that’s pretty much my week so far.  We email from the library here in town. I’ll send what pictures I have.  My camera won’t connect but I’ll work on it.  I typed this super speedy so fix it up a little for me. 

Love ya, Elder Parks

No comments:

Post a Comment