Monday, January 6, 2014

Translating in Church!

These last few weeks have been so slow!  I don’t know what’s up, but we are lucky if we teach a total of 3 or 4 lessons a week.  But we did get a chance to go to the hospital this week because Maria’s husband is having crazy respiratory problems.  And so we went and gave him a blessing and also I got the opportunity to translate a little because only one doctor on that floor could speak Spanish and she doesn’t understand English.  That would stink to have your husband dying and have no idea what’s going on because you can’t understand the nurses.  So lets hope he gets better.

And I also translated in church.  That was a party.  I was sitting in the back in between Hermana Rabago (who translates) and a less active of ours. and then all of the sudden she leans over and goes -Elder Lund, can you translate for me- and just handed me the mic!  And let me tell you, it’s one thing to just translate in your head and go along with it, which I can kinda do.  It’s a whole other story when you have to listen to the speaker, translate in your head, speak it into the microphone, and then keep listening to the speaker instead of listening to your own voice!  And the mic at the pulpit has a short so it sometimes goes out and you can’t hear what they are saying.  And some words that I haven’t said in English in a long time were hard to think of, like Joseph Smith or the Atonement or pretty much everything else.  It was fun though, haha, I just made up a lot of stuff!

And we met our downstairs neighbor.  She is this old grandma that lives by herself and sometimes she brings us cookies or tells us to have stuff she doesn’t want anymore.  Like she gave us some old plates and cups and she gave us a coffee table that is just sitting in the middle of our floor cuz we have nothing to do with it, haha. 

But that was pretty much my week.  Oh and I had a sweet dream where I worked at Stance and they had me go climb Mt Kilimanjaro with a bunch of pros and the ski down it.  So pretty much that is what I’m doing with my life when I get home!


-elder parks

No comments:

Post a Comment